Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Church Sign Power

A person I'd hoped would attend our praise and worship service miraculously showed up. After the service as we met to plan and work out the details for the next one, she stayed, and is now part of the team. I told her that I was happy she came, and somewhat surprised to see her. She said, "I drove past the sign every day, and each day it said, 3 days to go, then 2, then 1, I just had to come because it was like it was talking to me." Wow!

I'm the "sign guy" and I make sure there's something relevant on that sign every week. I have two books; 701 Sentence Sermons, and Another 701 Sentence Sermons by L. James Harvey that I like to refer to for inspiration. At times when there isn't a lot of church activity to advertise, I get out the books and find something that hopefully inspires Godly thoughts. Our sign only has three rows for letters so it cannot accommodate a lot of words. That rules out most of the "sign sermons" as most are rather wordy. Still, there are some gems that fit right nicely. Some of my favorites are:

CH CH
WHAT'S MISSING?
UR

IN THE DARK?
FOLLOW THE SON

STOP BY MY HOUSE
BEFORE THE GAME
-GOD

FIGHT TRUTH DECAY
STUDY THE BIBLE

And this one that won't fit on our sign:

CHURCH IS A HOSPITAL
FOR SINNERS
NOT A MUSEUM
FOR SAINTS

And some that our congregation have requested:

HEAVENLY LOFTS
AVAILABLE
INQUIRE WITHIN

SINNERS WELCOME
JOIN THE CROWD
SUNDAY 11 AM

HAVE YOU TOLD
SOMEONE THAT YOU
LOVE THEM TODAY?

PRAY HARD

KNEES KNOCKING?
KNEEL THEM DOWN

I love this sign ministry. It's been over a year since I've asked our church for ideas for the sign. I think I'll do it again this Sunday.

No comments: