Saturday, December 08, 2007

To Whom Do We Pray

In a discussion group the other day we were studying how and to whom we pray...or should pray. It was interesting to draw distinctions about the triune godhead, and in making that distinction, coming to some conclusion as to where our prayers should be directed. The upshot to all this is that we pray to God, the father, in the name of the son, Jesus Christ, through the power of the Holy Spirit. In the past that was a difficult notion for me having been raised Roman Catholic, where it is common practice to pray to saints, that they will appeal to Jesus, who in turn appeals to The Father on our behalf. Those RC roots instill a sense of timidity such that one may not feel worthy of appealing to God, the father, directly.

As a proud protestant, I now look to Jesus as my high priest. I no longer feel timid such that I need anyone other than Jesus to intervene on my behalf. Most of the time I hearken back to the words of Christ when he said that when I ask things of The Father, in His name, my prayers will be heard. That tells me to direct my prayers to God, the father, in the name of Jesus.

There's a freedom that comes from this realization. And a power. If one embraces the words of Christ, He always said that nothing He did was of himself, rather, it was doing the will of The Father. And when asked, "how should we pray", the prayer we call The Lord's Prayer was His response.

This contemplation may seem juvenile but for me, of late, it's been a revelation in my spirit...an empowerment in my ministry...and an enlightenment in my intellect that has been long overdue. Praise God, the father, in the name of Jesus Christ, the son, through the power of the Holy Spirit...amen.

No comments: